Fortress Werfen

Building work on Hohenwerfen Fortress was commenced following a dark period of Salzburg’s history. Several periods of political unrest and the investiture conflict made it necessary for the archbishopric to be placed under armed protection. Thus in 1077 Archbishop Gebhard ordered the construction of three fortresses - Hohenwerfen, Hohensalzburg and Petersberg in Friesach. The original fortifications were probably simple wooden structures. Over the years extensive development and strengthening work was then carried out. It was only in the 15th century that Hohenwerfen reached its current scale. (Text from: salzburg-burgen.at).